Taferim

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for anyone who enjoys Skyrim to hang out and swap stories.

My Skyrim Experience

Melodrama
    Melodrama
    Admin

My Skyrim Experience Empty My Skyrim Experience

Post  Melodrama Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Skyrim is a visually stunning game. When I started I wasn't terribly impressed; I'd seen similar graphics jobs done on other games - like Assassin's Creed. I'll admit that when I came across some fire animation I was impressed. But when the first dragon jumped on-scene, my jaw dropped.

The audio experience is pretty amazing too. Bethesda do all their own sound effects (though I'm sure a lot of the big studios do), and they did a whopping great job on the dragon noises.

The mods to Skyrim are turning out to be absolutely amazing. And the mod creation kit hasn't even been released!

- - - - - - - -

I have had some technical issues with Skyrim. Here I will explain what they were and how I fixed them.

1a) My first problems were mostly (if not all) to do with the sound. I was having static playing over the headphones/speakers/any-or-all-of-the-above whenever I stood near fire or walked into a hall/dungeon. A constant buzz accompanied and overlapped the droning background noise. Over time it turned into a crackling nightmare in my head. On top of that, character dialogue was randomly cutting out into spurts of static.

1b) I fixed the audio problems by changing my audio sample rate (Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Manage audio devices/(select your device)/Properties/advanced) to 44100 Hz. I had the option of 48000 Hz, 96000 Hz or 192000 Hz, but none of those options worked (the last one went so far as to crash the game at the main menu every time I tried it). I also had the choice of 16- and 24-bit depth for each of the Hz selections, but I don't think the bit depth had anything to do with the problem. For the record, though, I used 24-bit.

Last edited by Melodrama on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:34 am; edited 11 times in total (Reason for editing : more info/editing)
    Melodrama
    Melodrama
    Admin

My Skyrim Experience Empty Another Issue

Post  Melodrama Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:34 am

2a) I have had issues with Skyrim randomly crashing after I play for 60 seconds or so. This has happened ever since I allowed Skyrim to update past v1.1, and has happened with both v1.2 and v1.3. I am still trying to find out why. It might be caused by one of the several mods I have downloaded.

2b) The one thing I have found that works so far is reverting to v1.1. I keep the files backed up in case Bethesda releases a new patch that I want to try (or in case I accidently let Steam update mine).

(Note: To stop Steam updating Skyrim, you must use Steam in offline mode. If you want to go online, find the Skyrim folder - steam/steamapps/common/skyrim - and give it a temporary name change (i.e. "_skyrim"). You cannot play the game while the folder is renamed, though; to play Skyrim again, restore the folder name after you return Steam to offline mode.)

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 9:03 am